Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

nickd_101

Dynamically referencing a table column using mapping table?

I'm trying to produce a query that allows a user to map attributes from a source file to the target fields in the "output" table and have the table populated using the content of the file.

I have created my mapping table and have successfully retrieved the source column name from the mapping, but I am now trying to dynamically reference the source column as part of a custom field but just get the text populating the column. Is there any way to do this?

This is my mapping table in Excel

nickd_101_0-1715804769661.png

I then have a function which uses the ParamName to retrieve the "Value" (field name that is contained in my source data)

nickd_101_1-1715804832714.png

Where I am struggling is using the output of the function (the column name) to iterate each row of the selected column to populate the target table. Any tips or experiences in this space?

TIA

2 REPLIES 2
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nickd_101 

Do you want to change the column name in the function? Can you provide more information, I am confused about it, do you mean that you want to fiter the value based on the dynamic column?

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

Hi @v-xinruzhu-msft 

Thanks for your response! Basically I am trying to convert a source table into a template so would be aiming to change the header names. Usually I would just map this myself, but I am trying to create a simple means for a user to map the source fields (from the input file) to the relevant attributes in the template ("Target Attribute Name" in the image above) so that all the records from the source file, populate the table in the 'target' using the Target Attribute Names - kind of a very basic ETL that I am trying to achieve!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors