Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

IAM
Helper III
Helper III

Do not open all columns from SQL table

Hi all,

I have a SQL connection, this gives 518 columns and 23.000 rows. I only need about 40 columns.. 

What is the best way to avoid importing the 480 columns I do not need?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AnkitKukreja
Super User
Super User

Hi! @IAM 

There are 2 approaches that I follow and possible in the same order of choice if you can.

1) Get a view created for your table with the required column and then directly connect to that view. By creating a view you can also handle some of the transformations at the source level.

2) You can use a select statement with the column names and connect to the same table.

I hope it would make sense why to choose the 1st approach.

If my response has successfully addressed your question or concern, I kindly request that you mark this post as resolved. Additionally, if you found my assistance helpful, a thumbs-up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja
www.linkedin.com/in/ankit-kukreja1904

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
AnkitKukreja
Super User
Super User

Hi! @IAM 

There are 2 approaches that I follow and possible in the same order of choice if you can.

1) Get a view created for your table with the required column and then directly connect to that view. By creating a view you can also handle some of the transformations at the source level.

2) You can use a select statement with the column names and connect to the same table.

I hope it would make sense why to choose the 1st approach.

If my response has successfully addressed your question or concern, I kindly request that you mark this post as resolved. Additionally, if you found my assistance helpful, a thumbs-up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja
www.linkedin.com/in/ankit-kukreja1904

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors