Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

petermb72
Helper III
Helper III

Data from excel showing up with zeros instead of blank, I want the blanks to show

I have a excel spreadsheet that pulls data from other tabs into the one sheet.  If there is no data the field is blank (but there is a formula in the field to get the data from another tab).  When I pull this sheet into power query editor, all of the blank fields are replaced with a zero.  I would prefer that they were blank or Null. 

The data in excel(formulas in all fields) looks like this :

DataJanFebMarAprilMay
West017  
East123  

When it is in power query editor the same data looks like:

DataJanFebMarApril May
West01700

When I Use Power query editor, I want to be able to remove all of the months that do not have data in them yet.  Where there is a zero, I can tell the editor to remove zeros, but it will remove West's 0 in January.  

So my question again is, why does PQE bring zeros in where it should be blanks or null?  Sencond question is, if I can't fix this, how can I remove the months that should have blanks but are coming in with zeros?

Thanks,
Peter

2 REPLIES 2
petermb72
Helper III
Helper III

I tried as explained above and All it did was shift the zeros to left justified (turned them to text).  It did not remove them.  Thanks for the tip but, no dice.

v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @petermb72 

Based on your description, when you enter the power query editor, it will change the data type automatcially, you can remove the change type step.

vxinruzhumsft_0-1715132208662.png

Then all the data types will be text, and the blank column will keep blank, then you can set the data type by yourself. e.g you can set the data type of all the blank columns to text, then change the data type of other columns to number so that you can remove the blank column.

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors