Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andreazambon
Helper V
Helper V

Create powerBI columns with SQL queries

Hello there. 

In PowerQuery I use to build columns with M code and, if I need it, merging tables. My tables usually are excel tables.

This way is quite a trash. I would like to be more efficient building columns with SQL queryes, something like:

"Select TARGET from TABLE 1

where Value >ValueMin and Value <=ValueMax".

Sorry if my example is not syntactically correct, I need to resume my SQL knowledge :P. 

I hope that you can understand my question.

Is that possible?

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
j_ocean
Helper V
Helper V

If your source is SQL it automatically converts as much as it can to SQL and pushes the work up to the SQL server.

You can manually write out SQL when you establish the connection, this is *usually* meant to copy-paste in an existing extract vs writing new SQL but nothing is stopping you writing new code there.

If your source is excel files you're out of luck. There's no SQL engine for it to send your code to.

View solution in original post

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @andreazambon ,

In Power Query, only M code can be used.

However, you can use SQL statements to pre-filter when connecting to SQL Server.

vstephenmsft_0-1699342258270.png

Tutorial: Connect to on-premises data in SQL Server - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Some ways about filtering in Power Query for your reference:

Filter data (Power Query) - Microsoft Support

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @andreazambon ,

In Power Query, only M code can be used.

However, you can use SQL statements to pre-filter when connecting to SQL Server.

vstephenmsft_0-1699342258270.png

Tutorial: Connect to on-premises data in SQL Server - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Some ways about filtering in Power Query for your reference:

Filter data (Power Query) - Microsoft Support

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

abdulalim-da
Frequent Visitor

Currently, there is no direct option to use SQL queries in power query (m-code). What you can do, you can learn Power Query from here.

There is another alternative solution to using SQL queries. For that you must restore or insert Excel data into an SQL server database then you can get this data from the SQL server connector. You just need to pass the query within the advanced option field.

Did my answer help you or lead you to a solution? If so, please consider marking my response as a solution and giving kudos 👍

Thank you!

j_ocean
Helper V
Helper V

If your source is SQL it automatically converts as much as it can to SQL and pushes the work up to the SQL server.

You can manually write out SQL when you establish the connection, this is *usually* meant to copy-paste in an existing extract vs writing new SQL but nothing is stopping you writing new code there.

If your source is excel files you're out of luck. There's no SQL engine for it to send your code to.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors