Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

RamiAH
Regular Visitor

Connect Additional Table to Existing DataMart Connection

I have a Power BI Desktop file with an existing connection to a DataMart(preview) source (DirectQuery to AS). At the time of connection, I only selected 4 tables from the datamart. Now I need to add one table.
If I use get data, the system establishes a new connection, which I want to avoid.

The tables from the datamart do not show up under Transform Data.

I can't seem to find a way to go back to the navigator screen of the DataMart and select an additional table. Any advice would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
Deepak_22
Helper I
Helper I

Hello @RamiAH , In Power BI Desktop, when you're using DirectQuery mode to connect to sources like Analysis Services (AS), you can't use the Transform Data (previously known as Query Editor) to modify the tables from the source. However, you can add additional tables from the same source without creating a new connection. Here's how you can do that:

Open Existing Connection:

Go to the "Home" tab in the Power BI Desktop ribbon.

Click on "Manage Queries" (or it might be called "Edit Queries" based on your version).

Then choose "Manage Parameters" from the dropdown.

Now you should see all your queries and connections on the left panel.

Modify Connection:

From the list of queries and connections, find and right-click on your existing DataMart connection.

Choose the "Advanced Editor".

In the Advanced Editor, you should see the M code that represents the current connection and tables.

If you're familiar with the M language, you can manually adjust the code to add the table you need. Otherwise, you can proceed to the next step.

Add Table Using Existing Connection:

Go back to the "Home" tab in the Power BI Desktop ribbon.

Click on "Get Data".

Choose your DataMart source (the same source type you've used before).

When prompted, choose the option to use an existing connection rather than establishing a new connection.

You should be taken back to the Navigator screen, where you can select the additional table you want.

Choose the table and click on "Load".

By following these steps, you should be able to add an additional table from your DataMart source without creating a new connection.

If you find this helpful, please provide a kudo and mark it as an accepted solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors