Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EsgibtkeinBier
Frequent Visitor

Conditionally removing a column

Hi everyone!

Want to create a query step* where the first column of a table is removed (and then the rest of the columns get renamed) only if a specific value** inside that table is null. Otherwise, the table is passed to the next step as is.

------------------------------------------

This is how I tried implementing it, but please also feel free to propose a solution from scratch instead of correcting the mess I created; since I am pretty new to Power BI don't know how much sense my solution makes in the first place 😂

Draft Solution

= if ISBLANK(#"Navigation"{3}[Column1]) then

(Table.RemoveColumns(#"Navigation",{"Column1"}) and

Table.RenameColumns{{"Column2", "Column1"}, {"Column3", "Column2"}, {"Column4", "Column3"}, {"Column5", "Column4"}, {"Column6", "Column5"}, {"Column7", "Column8"}, {"Column8", "Column9"}})
else #"Navigation"

(Note that the table comes after a Navigation step so I reference it as #"Navigation" and the value** that gets checked is the third row of the first column.)

Thank you very much for your time!

Notes

* It could also be a function, if that's easier to implement.

** If that value is null, then the whole column is null; however, it's not that this cell has a special importance or anything -

might as well do a check at the column level. Just thought that checking only one value would improve performance.

3 REPLIES 3
technolog
Super User
Super User

I don't know how to do it:( Maybe admins helps us..

technolog
Super User
Super User

Hmmm, then is there any way to move this to another forum?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors