Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

algorton
Frequent Visitor

Comparing versions with multiple decimal points

Good morning

I am trying to run a comparision to check if the operating system version of my mobile devices is compliant. I was thinking of running Power Query e.g.

if [operatingSystem] = "Android" and [osVersion] <=10
then "TRUE"
else if [operatingSystem] = "iOS" and [osVersion] <15
then "TRUE"
else if [operatingSystem] = null or [osVersion] = null
then "Unknown"
else "FALSE"

My data is obviously in the incorrect format so the idea was to convert to decimal (I only need the major version number to do a comparison):

algorton_0-1687863002974.png

When converting the column to decimal I see the following error: DataFormat.Error: We couldn't convert to Number.Details: 5.1.1.

Obviously the multiple decimal points seem to be causing a problem; numbers with a single decimal point e.g. 7.0 convert with no issue. It would be appreciated if anyone could provide me some ideas on how I can achieve this comparision.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinsg
Super User
Super User

Good day @algorton 

The Text.BeforeDelimiter function may be used to extract text before the first "." (if there is no "." it will simply return the text). In the following code replace #"Previous Step" with the name of your previous step.

= Table.TransformColumns(
#"Previous Step",
{{"osVersion", each Text.BeforeDelimiter(_, "."), type text}}
)

After this you can change the column type to whole number.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
collinsg
Super User
Super User

Good day @algorton 

The Text.BeforeDelimiter function may be used to extract text before the first "." (if there is no "." it will simply return the text). In the following code replace #"Previous Step" with the name of your previous step.

= Table.TransformColumns(
#"Previous Step",
{{"osVersion", each Text.BeforeDelimiter(_, "."), type text}}
)

After this you can change the column type to whole number.

Hope this helps.

@collinsg thanks very much for your input; the code below worked perfectly for me.

= Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded ownerTypes", "osVersion_Decimal", each Text.BeforeDelimiter([osVersion], "."), type text)

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors