Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Urid1969
Helper I
Helper I

Cannot connect to AS400 via IBM DB2 database

Hello friends

Keep getting error while trying to connect to AS400 

Untitled.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Urid1969,

Firstly, please check the IBM AS400 server status and port status as per the below steps.

a. Verify that if the IBM server is up and running following the troubleshoot steps in this article.
  b. Check the port status by using “netstat” in your IBM server and verify the port is in state Listen.

Secondly, choose each driver in the following screenshot when connecting to IBM database and check if it is successful. When you choose IBM, please ensure that you have IBM DB2 Data Server Driver installed on your computer (minimum requirement is the IBM Data Server Driver Package (DS Driver)). Select the driver that matches your Power BI Desktop installation (32-bit or 64-bit).
2.PNG

Thirdly, check if you are able to connect to IBM AS400 database from other application such as Excel.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
wimbor
Regular Visitor

Same issue here.  Our PaaS supplier gave the same answers:

- on iSeries / AS/400 DB2 uses a different port

- use ODBC: that will work.

But that is indeed a sub-optimal solution.

It would be nice if Microsoft could adapt the DB2 driver in such a way that a connection is possible.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Urid1969,

Firstly, please check the IBM AS400 server status and port status as per the below steps.

a. Verify that if the IBM server is up and running following the troubleshoot steps in this article.
  b. Check the port status by using “netstat” in your IBM server and verify the port is in state Listen.

Secondly, choose each driver in the following screenshot when connecting to IBM database and check if it is successful. When you choose IBM, please ensure that you have IBM DB2 Data Server Driver installed on your computer (minimum requirement is the IBM Data Server Driver Package (DS Driver)). Select the driver that matches your Power BI Desktop installation (32-bit or 64-bit).
2.PNG

Thirdly, check if you are able to connect to IBM AS400 database from other application such as Excel.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
robarivas
Post Patron
Post Patron

I haven't been able to connect to DB2 either. I've been trying to work with Microsoft on the issue. Hopefully something comes of it. My DBA's just want to force me to use ODBC but ODBC performance seems inacceptably slow for me. The DBA claims that Microsoft told them the built-in connector to DB2 won't work, which seems implausible, and because ODBC "works" the DBA doesn't want to revisit the issue.

Anyway, in your instance you might try adding the port number to the end of your server name. I've heard 446 is a common port number, although as I said nothing's worked for me so far. In the server field type the following

whatever_your_server_is:446

Yes, I tried adding a port still error. Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors