Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Fabricator

Can I power query a Fabric semantic model?

I just recently started using Fabric and the semantic model within it. I'm trying to replicate heavily power queried tables from an older Power BI report. Is there a way for me to do any power querying on the Fabric semantic model. If not, what is the best alternative?

7 REPLIES 7
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Fabricator ,

When you create a model in Fabric you aren't creating the Power Query so be aware that you will not have the same M language code has you do in Power BI.

You cannot acces the semantic model itself you can however access the model using XMLA endpoint and that will give access to the semantic model trough Tabular Editor or SQL Server Managment Studio.

Using the same SQL Endpoint you can create different model acessing the SQL database and that will allow probably to do what you need.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

jennratten
Super User
Super User

@Fabricator Have you had a chance to look at the latest reply?  If this solved your problem please click Accept as Solution.  If not, can you please reply with more information about what you are trying to accomplish?

v-junyant-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Fabricator ,

Power Query is designed to connect to various data sources, transform data, and then load it into Power BI's data model. If the Fabric semantic model is exposed as a data source that Power Query can connect to (like SQL Server, OData feed, etc.), then you could use Power Query to import and transform this data. However, if the Fabric semantic model is not directly accessible as a data source in Power Query, you won't be able to use Power Query on it in the same way you would with other data sources.
Simply put, here if you can successfully import the data, you can query it, if you can't, you can't query it:

vjunyantmsft_0-1703123168517.png

If direct querying is not possible, the best alternative would be to access the underlying data sources that feed into the Fabric semantic model and use Power Query to replicate the transformations you need.

Best Regards,
Dino Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply,

I suppose that was part of the question, is it accessible through Power Query in some form? I don't know.

Hello - if you have access to the semantic model, you may be able to download it.  Then you can edit it in Power BI desktop.  I think that is your best option.  There are a few scenarios in which downloading the file may not be an option.  I recommend trying to do that first.

jennratten_0-1703132470660.png

jennratten_1-1703132622066.png

That would require me to download the file and enter it into Power BI Desktop and republish the report every time the data is updated which is not practical but I appreciate your suggestion anyway.

Hi again - you would only need to update the file and republish when the scripts themselves change.  Based on your description of needing to recreate a report, that's what it sounds like you are trying to do.  If the report is configured appropriately then once it is updated and published, you can configure scheduled refresh to automatically refresh report.  If you are not trying to recreate/rewrite an old report, can you please clarify what you are trying to accomplish?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors