Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mic
Frequent Visitor

Build sum per line, via different columns with changing header

Dear Community, 

hope s.b. can support me with an idea to solve my issue.

I got data from standard system report, that provide 10 columns - unfortunately with moving forward in time, the output of report will lead to a change of the headline of these 10 columns.

e.g.

today it says column1 = IN - Thursday; column2 = IN - Friday

tomorrow it will say column1 = IN - Friday; colum2 = IN - Monday

i want to calculate the total of these 10 columns with the changing headlines, but i'm stuck - i know/found out there is a function calls "Table.SelectColumn" but i have no idea if this one might bring me solution as i'm bit new with PB.

thanks in advance for any help/idea.

BR Mic

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Just use this formula in a custom column. This formula skips first 3 columns. If you want to skip any other columns in the beginning, replace 3 accordingly. 

List.Sum(List.Skip(Record.ToList(_), 3))

If no column to be skipped 

List.Sum(Record.ToList(_))

There are various ways to handle any other requirement like say you want to capture column 3 to column 12 (then List.Range will have to be used). Say you want to sum only those columns which start with IN - 

Let us know.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Mic
Frequent Visitor

finally i used the one to skip the inital 14 colums 

=List.Sum(List.Skip(Record.ToList(_)),14)

as first with column 15 those colums are in the total file i want to built the sum from

Mic
Frequent Visitor

ahh,.. sorry. i put a ")" on the wrong spot... now it works - my fault

Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Just use this formula in a custom column. This formula skips first 3 columns. If you want to skip any other columns in the beginning, replace 3 accordingly. 

List.Sum(List.Skip(Record.ToList(_), 3))

If no column to be skipped 

List.Sum(Record.ToList(_))

There are various ways to handle any other requirement like say you want to capture column 3 to column 12 (then List.Range will have to be used). Say you want to sum only those columns which start with IN - 

Let us know.

Hello Vijay_A_Verma, 

thx for your hint - tried to rebuilt this, unfortunately it returns a "Error", eventhough all column have format integer.

Error shows "The value for a Precision.Type Enumeration was not one of the allowed values: "Precision.Double, Precision.Decimal"

As far as i got this message (english is not my mother lang) i probably have issues with different format of numbers.

Do you have a hint on that?

What is the final formula used by you?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors