Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

robbieD

Append only shows first selected table data properly

Hi All

I am in power query section of the excel and i have created two subset tables from one very large data set. Imperial_Table (blue color table) and _Metric_Table (orange color table). I am bringing these two tables to powe query and trying to append them. In the append diaglog box when I am selecting these two tables one by one from the dropdown list and pressing okay. But only data from the table which I had selected first is showing properly but the data from the second table is showing as "null" in all the rows. If I select vice versa then the table data swaps and the second selected table data shows "null".image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Could anyone help please ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You could use Table.FromColumns instead of appending:

Table.FromColumns(
    Table.ToColumns(Table_Imperial) & Table.ToColumns(Table_Metric),
    Table.ColumnNames(Table_Imperial) & Table.ColumnNames(Table_Metric)
)

This splits both tables into a list of columns, joins the resulting lists, and then reassembles them into a single table using the column names from each table.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
robbieD

Hi. Thank you so much. It worked like a charm. Thanks for being awesome ! 

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

For a simpler example, suppose we have two tables Imperial_Table and Metric_Table as follows:

AlexisOlson_0-1661891528071.png AlexisOlson_1-1661891545490.png

Appending them together gives the following result:

AlexisOlson_2-1661891602128.png

This is probably not what we actually want, but since there are no matching column names, Power Query doesn't know which columns should stack on which other ones.

One way to fix this would be to standardize the column names on the tables before appending. For example, these tables should append as expected:

AlexisOlson_4-1661891840358.png

AlexisOlson_3-1661891778224.png

Thank you so much taking the time to respond. I guess then my question was wrong. I apologize for that. All I want in my final table to is to bring selected tables side by side to make a "joined" table by rearranging the columns in that final table as shown in the screenshots. I want to go from 1st picutre to 2nd picture. I dont want to disturb the column arrangement of Master file (first picture) as its a downloaded copy from the internet .

image.pngimage.png

You could use Table.FromColumns instead of appending:

Table.FromColumns(
    Table.ToColumns(Table_Imperial) & Table.ToColumns(Table_Metric),
    Table.ColumnNames(Table_Imperial) & Table.ColumnNames(Table_Metric)
)

This splits both tables into a list of columns, joins the resulting lists, and then reassembles them into a single table using the column names from each table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors