Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

christianadaa
Helper IV
Helper IV

All data is null

Hi all, 

I am encountering null for all my values in power query in dekstop.  

My excel/sharepoint file is fine and has all the information. 

What is the problem here? Please see below screenshot. 

christianadaa_0-1661472685117.png

Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Sorted Rows in Power Query will not affect sorting of data in Visuals. The ONLY reason to have Sorted Rows in Power Query is if the sorting is needed for something like a Row Number column or Running Total, where the order is important. In your charts and graphs, you always have the ability to sort by some column in the visual.

Try removing the Sort operation to make your query go faster.

Now to your issue, try filtering the data to remove NULLs. I bet this is Excel data, which is infamous for having extra rows and columns that nobody wants.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Sorted Rows in Power Query will not affect sorting of data in Visuals. The ONLY reason to have Sorted Rows in Power Query is if the sorting is needed for something like a Row Number column or Running Total, where the order is important. In your charts and graphs, you always have the ability to sort by some column in the visual.

Try removing the Sort operation to make your query go faster.

Now to your issue, try filtering the data to remove NULLs. I bet this is Excel data, which is infamous for having extra rows and columns that nobody wants.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Thank you for your help @ToddChitt

I removed both Sorted Rows and the data is displaying in power query now. Visuals are unaffected as you predicted. Thank you! 

I can see now in my data section (not power query) my data is blank - would you know the reason for this? Please see screenshot below. 

christianadaa_0-1661815599798.png

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Try stepping through the Applied Steps, seeing what each one returns in the data grid. Find out where those NULLS show up.

Hi @ToddChitt,

Thank you. It looks like the 'Sorted Rows' applied step is returning the null values. Please see below. 

If I remove this step, I might mess up following steps which are crucial for my visuals. What is the best way to go about this? 

christianadaa_0-1661731067957.png

Data is showing with step previous to 'Sorted Rows'

christianadaa_1-1661731104233.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors