Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ciaranmcmullan

Aggregation

Please help me as I am new to Power Query and I dont know how to calculate this following:

I have to calculate the Whole Time Equivalent for 25,000 staff.  It is relatively easy when the person has one employment record however I have people with 2 and 3 employment records. and I have calculate the combined total per person.  I have attached a sample of what I am trying to achieve i.e. to calcultate the total WTE for each scenario ie a person may have one post (person A below) or multiple posts (persons B and C with 2 and  3 posts respectively)  This is most likely very easy but I have tried to do some research myself and can't find an answer.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Person A has 1 post. WTE for that post is 1.0 making a total of 1.0

Person B has 2 posts. WTE for post 1 is 0.5 and for post 2 0.3 making a combined total of 0.8

Person C has 3 posts. WTE for post 1 is 0.3, for post 2 is 0.5 and for post 3 is 0.2 making a combined total of 1.0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ciaranmcmullan Doesn't make the least bit of sense. 🙂

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCkgtKs7PU3BU0lEyVIrVgQs4AQX0TDFEjJFFnLGLmGKIGCnFxgIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Person = _t, WTE = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Person", type text}, {"WTE", type number}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Person"}, {{"WTE", each List.Sum([WTE]), type nullable number}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

Greg_Deckler_0-1664668878151.png

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ciaranmcmullan

Hi Greg thanks for the super fast response. thank you for the advice, I grouped by person and the summed up the WTE however it gives me the Summed up WTE against each row for those with multiple positions whereas I need only one total.  I hope that makes sense?

@ciaranmcmullan Doesn't make the least bit of sense. 🙂

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCkgtKs7PU3BU0lEyVIrVgQs4AQX0TDFEjJFFnLGLmGKIGCnFxgIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Person = _t, WTE = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Person", type text}, {"WTE", type number}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Person"}, {{"WTE", each List.Sum([WTE]), type nullable number}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

Greg_Deckler_0-1664668878151.png

Latest book!:

Sorry if I was a little unclear.  In Excel I use the following formula which calculates it for me and essentially I am looking Power Query to replicate it exactly.

=IF(COUNTIF($A$2:A2,A2)=COUNTIF(A:A,A2),SUMIF(A:A,A2,B:B),"")

A represents the column with the person and B is the column with each WTE

The result is that it adds the WTE for each person and gives me one total.  EG

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@ciaranmcmullan Sounds like you need to do a Group By in Power Query based upon the "Person" column.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors