Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

gramespa
Frequent Visitor

Add SQL statements in advanced window or rebuild in M

Hi all,

I am connecting Power BI to a SQL Database and need some sql statements to create a new table based on joining several other tables with similar keys. Some have relations some dont. 

I have no trouble building what i need in SQL but i am not so sure about doing it in M.

Is it "best practice" to add SQL statements directly as advanced option or connect to Database and rebuild what i need in M? And if so is there any guidance how to transfer common statements like Select, cast, join, where etc?

Thank you all1

2 REPLIES 2
VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@gramespa 

If you are using advanced window to run the SQL, some of the features like query folding can't be achieved.

But I always go with it because I know my SQL is right, tune it, bring in only the necessary columns and rows etc.

All I do in M query is to select the datatype and/or add custom/conditional columns for sorting,grouping etc..

On the flip side, If yo do it with M query, it has to read all the rows and transform the data in the way you need in Power BI.

But is it a "Best practise", I don't know. Test both the approaches and see which one loads faster.

If this helps, mark it as a solution

Kudos are nice too.

Connect on LinkedIn

Thank you for sharing you opinion in this! Since data size is not an issue in this case i might go for the advanced window and be sure what i am doing is correct.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors