Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

keno

Not a legal OleAut Date

I'm getting this error when a schduled refresh runs (it doesn't error when manually refreshing). I've found the reason why this happens in this forum, e.g. ANSWERED QUESTION.

Data source error:Not a legal OleAut date.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Table: Manual Attendance Full.
Cluster URI:WABI-EUROPE-NORTH-B-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:452648da-2252-4845-88de-515b0dd58161
Request ID:8a1ec65c-a4a4-4c79-bb04-62807acc2ecc
Time:2019-02-12 07:24:10Z

The question is WHY and HOW is this an error. Dates before 1/1/1900 are more than valid, I don't understand why Power BI would kick them out. And why Power BI would kick them out on a schduled refresh, of all things.

I'm purposefully displaying dates that are not 100% correct as this dashboard is to help us validate incorrect scans of documents.

Does anyone have a work around? I don't want to lose the incorrect data as I need the entire dataset to be present.

Thank you,

Ken.

3 REPLIES 3
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

dates like this are allowed in M/Query Editor (page 35)
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/powerquery-m/power-query-m-language-specification

but not in DAX
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/date-function-dax

there are also some examples there with dates before 1899, but it doesn't look very promising

if you have such a wide year range do you use months/days at all? maybe it will be easier to just treat date as a numeric dimension rather than date

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

The dates need to be readable by humans, so the date format of dd/mm/yyyy is the best one to use. 

This is for correcting errors. I don't really understand how they could build a system that only looks at dates after 1/1/1900.

I guess the real question is, why do they allow it for manual refreshes, but not scheduled refreshed?

@keno,

A worksaround I can think of is to change the data type of the date field to text or use manual refresh instead of schedule refresh.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors