Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use an API Call to Populate Custom Data Connector Settings

I've created a custom connector I've imported into Power BI Desktop. I'm using it to pull in a very large data set, which is too big to pull in completely in a single request. So I want to allow a user to select a certain subset of the data in the connection info (DataSource.Contents) screen. To do this I have a few dropdown menus that allows them to select a subset. These dropdowns are pretty dynamic. Right now if I hardcode my dropdown list in a function and return it in a function it works:

dropdownList = {
[id=""123, "name="example dropdown"],
[id=""124, "name="another example dropdown"]
}

But I want that function call to return the result of an API call to dynamically load this list. I am using the following code which I know works during the actual data retrieval for the custom connector:

content = Web.Contents("https://my-api.com/unprotected/endpoint/returning-json", 
            [
                Headers=[
                    #"Method"="GET",
                    #"Content-Type" = "application/json"
                ]
            ]
        )

This code works when I make it run in the Contents section of my DataSource. Is it possible to get this to run during the data connection settings screen? Is there some async/await type keyword I am missing?

And if not, does anyone know of another way to allow a user to define the parameters of the content they need so I can make an API call for the data on a large dataset that will not time out?

1 REPLY 1
diogorod
Regular Visitor

Did you find a way to do this? Also trying...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.