Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

leesm1thy
Frequent Visitor

Tabular Editor "Unable to load Tabular Model"

Hi,

I want to get in on the use of Tabular Editor to author Power BI Datasets, and have followed the instructions provided by Matt Allington in his blog but I fall at first hurdle. When trying to open a PBIT file from within Tabular Editor, I am presented by this error message:

TabEdit_error_msg.PNG

I've extracted the contents of the PBIT to look for a JSON file that references this, but there's nothing there. I've tried several different files. The reference to "culture" makes me assume it has something to do with locale settings - I'm in the UK - but don't know where or what I would change.

Any assistance gratefully received.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

it has caused a lot of problems in other areas. Try with it unticked.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Did you by any chance enable the "Store datasets using enhanced metadata format" feature in the Power BI options?

Yes - been ticked as an option since it became available.

it has caused a lot of problems in other areas. Try with it unticked.

Thanks very much. This has worked. I must have missed the bit in that blog I linked to which says that this feature isn't strictly necessary for using Tabular Editor - I had it in my head that it was the introduction of this feature that meant TE could now be used in this way. It's unfortunate but it looks like any PBIX file created whilst that option was switched on still has the same error appearing. I'd love to use Tabular Editor but if the preview feature preventing me is going to be generally released at some point, perhaps I shouldn't be getting used to being able to... ?

Yeah, that feature definitely went back to the drawing board.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.