Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

KoBe321
Frequent Visitor

Selection vs Filter

I've got 2 visuals, let's say A and B.

At the moment it's possible to "select" some values in A using SelectionManager, and B will be changed according to that.

Then I added Filtering to A, thus I was able to filter B using applyJsonFilter().

However, if I wanted to also "select" a value in A while B was filtered, B crashed.

No error message was shown, but after some googling it was suggested that it's probably some cross-filtering issue.

So is it possible at all to filter and select B from A at the same time?

If not, I could probably change the "select" mechanism of A to "filter" B.

But what's the difference between "select" and "filter" from a logical/architectural view? Are they interchargeable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @KoBe321,

Probably the easiest way to think about it is filter = slicer, select = regular chart.

The filter API asks Power BI to hard-filter other visuals in the page, like a slicer would. The selection manager requests Power BI performs interactive operations either internally to your own visual or in confunction with others (such as cross-highlight), which do not explicitly remove data from each visual's data view so that they can show partial data, dim out non highlighted fields etc..

They aren't really interchangable as you'd typically use one over the other. You can technically use both (I personally haven't used them both together; just separately), but in each case you would want to think about what needs to happen from an end-user perspective if you do.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @KoBe321,

Probably the easiest way to think about it is filter = slicer, select = regular chart.

The filter API asks Power BI to hard-filter other visuals in the page, like a slicer would. The selection manager requests Power BI performs interactive operations either internally to your own visual or in confunction with others (such as cross-highlight), which do not explicitly remove data from each visual's data view so that they can show partial data, dim out non highlighted fields etc..

They aren't really interchangable as you'd typically use one over the other. You can technically use both (I personally haven't used them both together; just separately), but in each case you would want to think about what needs to happen from an end-user perspective if you do.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

KoBe321
Frequent Visitor

Thank you Do you happen to know what causes this?

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Filter-disables-SelectionManager/m-p/1759570

Thank you in advance!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.