Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

FabioN
Frequent Visitor

Refresh SQL Server 2017

Hello all,

I have a Windows Server with an SQL Server 2017 I want to use as the source for Power BI.

I've chosen 'Import' as data source type, since I don't need data to be in real time.

I would like to set a scheduled nightly refresh so that my users (currently testing the Pro licence) get data of the last day when they open the service in browser.

Is this feasible? Do I need Power BI desktop on the server? Do user get automatic updates of the data when they login online?

Thank you very much!

Fabio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jayendran
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @FabioN ,

Since you are using a on-premises sql server you need to use a powerbi onpremises gateway to schedule a refresh in powerbi service (app.powerbi.com)

Powerbi desktop is just a client tool to develop powerbi reports. If you install powerbi desktop in the server and open your report(pbix file), yes you will get the updated record in the server alone(on-premises) . In order to use the schedule refresh in powerbi service (cloud) you need a gateway.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Jayendran
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @FabioN ,

Since you are using a on-premises sql server you need to use a powerbi onpremises gateway to schedule a refresh in powerbi service (app.powerbi.com)

Powerbi desktop is just a client tool to develop powerbi reports. If you install powerbi desktop in the server and open your report(pbix file), yes you will get the updated record in the server alone(on-premises) . In order to use the schedule refresh in powerbi service (cloud) you need a gateway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.