Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

msaul
Frequent Visitor

Power bi instance not connecting to workspace

Trying to get a power bi instance to work with my power bi workspace. I have created both but cannot seem to see any activity on the instance. 

We ran the scripts from here: https://github.com/microsoft/PowerBI-Tools-For-Capacities/tree/master/RealisticLoadTestTool and no activity showd up on the instance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @msaul ,

In Power BI Service, it is easy to distingush whether your workspace is in shared or dedicated capacity. Worksapce in dedicated capacity will show diamond icon next workspace name.

Workspace in Shared capacity:

Vlianlmsft_0-1645167443494.png

Workspace in Dedicated capacity:

Vlianlmsft_1-1645167443623.png

You can find Premium in workspace setting  and add or remove this workspace to Premium.

Vlianlmsft_2-1645167443476.png

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Actually I was seeing that but when I checked the Azure instance there was no activity showing up in the instance metrics, even when the capacity was selected. And when paused the instance the reports were still working. However when I connected to an external SQL DB for the Data set, we were able to see the activity and when the instance was paused, the reports were not able to load. So its seems that power bi has some not documented way of switching to production mode and requiring the azure capacity.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @msaul ,

In Power BI Service, it is easy to distingush whether your workspace is in shared or dedicated capacity. Worksapce in dedicated capacity will show diamond icon next workspace name.

Workspace in Shared capacity:

Vlianlmsft_0-1645167443494.png

Workspace in Dedicated capacity:

Vlianlmsft_1-1645167443623.png

You can find Premium in workspace setting  and add or remove this workspace to Premium.

Vlianlmsft_2-1645167443476.png

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Actually I was seeing that but when I checked the Azure instance there was no activity showing up in the instance metrics, even when the capacity was selected. And when paused the instance the reports were still working. However when I connected to an external SQL DB for the Data set, we were able to see the activity and when the instance was paused, the reports were not able to load. So its seems that power bi has some not documented way of switching to production mode and requiring the azure capacity.

msaul
Frequent Visitor

Just to clarify what I have done and where I am getting stuck. 

1. Followed all the steps to create a Powerbi instance in Azure and was able to successfully get access token using a service principal with the sample embed for customers app. 

2. Am able to view the embedded report in the browser, however it works even if the Azure instance is paused, and even when its not paused, when I look at the Metrics of the instance in Azure always see zero. 
3. Cannot figure out how to tell if we are using the PowerBi service or the A1 Powerbi instance I created in Azure. 

I don't see a PBIReport.JSON file in the sample app. 

This tool has not much to do with Azure.  It's monkeying around with a bunch of browser instances on your PC that are hammering the service with fake user input.  You need to get your local setup sorted first.

Understood. But even without the tool we cannot see any metrics on the Azure instance after I used the sample app to embed and and able to view the report.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

did you modify PBIReport.JSON as needed?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.