Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

saaccess
Frequent Visitor

Power BI with LDAP Authentication?

Hello Everyone,

I actually want to login PowerBI with local Active Directory Authentication. But PowerBI authenticates with Azure Active Directory.

My question is that, If I Sync my Local Active Directory with Azure Active Directory using Azure Active Directory Connect Tool, can PowerBI be authenticated locally using Windows Active Directory?  

Also, when I embed my powerbi Report into my Internal Web Portal, will the Embedded PowerBI report get Single-Singned-On?

Thanks in Advance!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @saaccess 

You can add local ad account to your group in azure portal. Then you can assign the account with power bi license(free, pro or other) in O365 admin portal, please refer to: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-purchasing-power-bi-pro#assign-licenses-in-o....

Synchronizing users’ identities between local and cloud directories is a great way to let users access different resources on both on-premises and cloud environments with just a single set of credentials. 

For reference: How to sync on-premises Active Directory to Azure Active Directory with Azure AD Connect?

Power BI Embed has two versions: user owns data / app owns data.

From your statement, I think you use user owns data. You need to sign in with accounts which has access to the report.

Here is a post with the similar problem: SSO with Graph API and Power BI Embed

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @saaccess 

You can add local ad account to your group in azure portal. Then you can assign the account with power bi license(free, pro or other) in O365 admin portal, please refer to: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-purchasing-power-bi-pro#assign-licenses-in-o....

Synchronizing users’ identities between local and cloud directories is a great way to let users access different resources on both on-premises and cloud environments with just a single set of credentials. 

For reference: How to sync on-premises Active Directory to Azure Active Directory with Azure AD Connect?

Power BI Embed has two versions: user owns data / app owns data.

From your statement, I think you use user owns data. You need to sign in with accounts which has access to the report.

Here is a post with the similar problem: SSO with Graph API and Power BI Embed

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.