Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ha_data
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Embedded with AWS RDS - is a Power BI Gateway is required?

Hi,

We have intention to use Power BI Embedded for an AWS hosted .PHP web application. Our Power BI reports will need to connect to an AWS RDS (MySQL compatiable database). The dataset in reports need to be refreshed daily automatically and we also need to change the database for each client (these databases have the same structrure, we just need to change their parameters). I have tested successfully to change dataset of our report and refresh it automatically on Power BI Service by using Power BI Gateway (So each client will have to install a Power BI Gateway). So in our case, if we use the solution of Power BI Embedded, I don't know how it works? Do our clients need to install Power BI Gateway too?

Thanks a lot.

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The gateway is like a headless Desktop. It needs to be able to reach both the data source, and the Azure cloud.  So if your data sources are in AWS the gateway somehow needs to be able to talk to them, likely from within AWS.

Thank you for your answer, although I still haven't imagined how it works with Power BI Embedded.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.