Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ibmbaranski

MIME type for excel file when row count is greater than ~50K

I have a daily file I receive from a vendor, and 6 days a week it works fine in the (closed source) tool I'm sending it to. These days the row count is < 10000.

One day a week I get the same file with over 60K rows and my tool will not load it. It gives me an error that says:

MIME type mismatch for file: x.xlsx. Expected type:application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet, Actual type: application/x-tika-ooxml

Does anyone know why I would be getting this error? I'm assuming that it has to do with the number of rows, but I'm not positive. Everything else (I am assured by the vendor) is the same when generating the file - it's the same job. I am copying the file using the same method (downloading and using scp) and loading the file into the tool the same way.

I've used `file --mime-type` and the python magic libs and the files look to be the same from those tools. The utility that's giving me the error is closed source and I don't know how they check the MIME type.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm stuck.

6 REPLIES 6
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Are they at least admitting that they are producing OpenOffice files?  Can you ask them to send CSV instead?

I might ask for CSV - I need to see if the other team can ingest that properly.

The answer has been "We generate all the files the same way so it is not on our end"

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

wait, are you reading these Excel files with Python?  What made you do that?  Why not use the native Excel connector in Power Query ?

I'm not reading the files with Python. They are being delivered to me from PowerBI and I'm passing them on to the next step (via SCP) with Python.

The MIME type is what I'm trying to get to the bottom of.

They sent you OpenOffice files, not Excel files.

So now we are back to the original question, which is:

They are adamant that the job is the exact same every day, and that the large file is generated by the same job that generates the smaller files.

What would cause the MIME type to be different, the size is the obvious answer...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.