Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alladisai
Regular Visitor

How to update odbc connection string (Hive database) Using PowerBI Embedded

Hi ,

I have generated .pbix file using Power BI desktop application for Hive database (using odbc connection). I haveused PowerBI Embaded utility to  deploy in Azure. It's deployed successfully and able to see result in web App.

When i tried to update the connection string using option 7. It's throwing bellow error. Can any one help me to solve this.

--------------------------------------------------

Expected one datasource, updating the firstOoops, something broke: System.Argume
ntOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less tha
n the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argu
ment, ExceptionResource resource)
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.get_Item(Int32 index)
at ProvisionSample.Program.<UpdateConnection>d__27.MoveNext() in D:\Azure\POC
s\Power BI\power-bi-embedded-integrate-report-into-web-app-master\ProvisionSampl
e\Program.cs:line 624
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNot
ification(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.GetResult()
at ProvisionSample.Program.<Run>d__17.MoveNext() in D:\Azure\POCs\Power BI\po
wer-bi-embedded-integrate-report-into-web-app-master\ProvisionSample\Program.cs:
line 239

Thanks & regards

Sai baba

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@alladisai

Power BI Embedded so far only supports direct query to Azure SQL DB and Azure SQL DW. And based on my test, the option 7 works to update the connection string to an Azure SQL DB.

I don't exactly clear about your scenario, however you mentioned ODBC, I guess that is the reason cause the error. You can check this idea Support other data sources Direct Query using Gateway on Embedded Power BI and vote it up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
alladisai
Regular Visitor

Hi ,

I have generated .pbix file using Power BI desktop application for Hive database (using odbc connection). I haveused PowerBI Embaded utility to  deploy in Azure. It's deployed successfully and able to see result in web App.

When i tried to update the connection string using option 7. It's throwing bellow error. Can any one help me to solve this.

Expected one datasource, updating the firstOoops, something broke: System.Argume
ntOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less tha
n the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argu
ment, ExceptionResource resource)
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.get_Item(Int32 index)
at ProvisionSample.Program.<UpdateConnection>d__27.MoveNext() in D:\Azure\POC
s\Power BI\power-bi-embedded-integrate-report-into-web-app-master\ProvisionSampl
e\Program.cs:line 624
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNot
ification(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.GetResult()
at ProvisionSample.Program.<Run>d__17.MoveNext() in D:\Azure\POCs\Power BI\po
wer-bi-embedded-integrate-report-into-web-app-master\ProvisionSample\Program.cs:
line 239

Thanks & regards

Sai baba

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sai,

I am trying to connect powerBI  with Hive. I have a connection string. Can you please help me with how I can do it?

Did you use any specific driver?

In a few days we will be moving to Azure cloud and I also want to know if you were successfully able to do it.

Thanks in advance

@alladisai

Power BI Embedded so far only supports direct query to Azure SQL DB and Azure SQL DW. And based on my test, the option 7 works to update the connection string to an Azure SQL DB.

I don't exactly clear about your scenario, however you mentioned ODBC, I guess that is the reason cause the error. You can check this idea Support other data sources Direct Query using Gateway on Embedded Power BI and vote it up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.