Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

VizDataLtd
Frequent Visitor

How do I access selections from other visuals, if not via selectionManager?

Hello, 

I have a custom visual showing categories of data (e.g. days of week). My visual renders without any numeric series required. In Capabilities, supportsHighlight is set to true.

When I click "Monday" on my visual, other standard visuals on the page correctly highlight Monday, if they are showing the same category data. By this I mean, Monday stays 100% opaque, while the other values reduce to 40%.

However, when I click Monday on these other visuals, there is no behaviour at all on my visual. I thought that selections made on other visuals would be recorded within selectionManager. When I console.log(this.selectionManager) in the update function, selectedIds array is empty. Similarly if i log this.selectionManager.getSelectionIds() - this array only shows anything if I have clicked my own visual. I have this line in the constructor:

this.selectionManager = this.host.createSelectionManager();

I use this.selectionManager.select() when the user clicks my visual. But how I do access the user's clicks on other visuals, if not via selectionManager.selectedIds? 

I wonder if I need something further in capabilities? I notice that when I try to add this, selections stop working completely:
"objects": { "general": { "properties": { "filter": { "type": { "filter": true } }, "selfFilter": { "type": { "filter": true } } } } },

I am using BasicFilters when I place my own filters.

Thanks
Emma
2 REPLIES 2
VizDataLtd
Frequent Visitor

Hi Liu, 

I mean that if I add the filter and selfFilter properties into objects.general within capabilities, highlighting stops working. I have read that this is expected behaviour.

The problem is that I do not know where I can see the selections users have made in other visuals, so that I can apply those to my custom visual.

Thanks for any help.

Emma

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @VizDataLtd ,

Conveniently you can explain in detail "When I try to add it, the selection stops working altogether:

"objects": { "general": { "properties": { "filter ": { "type": { "filter": true } }, "selfFilter": { "type": { "filter": true } } } }," for the exact problem occurrence and some screenshots?

Also can you check if this official documentation is of any help?

Develop custom visuals in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Kudoed Authors