Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ozpbi123
Regular Visitor

Exporting PDF/PPT with current state via API

Hello,

Following instructions from other posts, I am attempting to export an embedded report into a PDF or PPT file with the current state of the report via the following:

1. When the user chooses to export their report, I get the current state via the Javascript API:

var capturedBookmark = await this.report.bookmarksManager.capture();

2. I verify that I get a state value string, and then when exporting via the powerbi api where state is that state string captured in step 1:

var export = await client.Reports.ExportToFileInGroupAsync(new Guid(workspaceId), new Guid(reportId), new ExportReportRequest()
                {
                    Format = fileFormat,
                    PowerBIReportConfiguration = new PowerBIReportExportConfiguration()
                    {
                        Identities = new List<EffectiveIdentity>() { effectiveIdentity },
                        DefaultBookmark = new PageBookmark(state: state)
                    },
                });

This however always returns an invalid request error of "Export report was provided with an invalid bookmark".

Is there something I might be missing here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AmosHersch
Employee
Employee

Hi,

I don't see what is missing, the bookmark state should be some base64 which Power BI tries to decodes. The error probably means something was wrong during decoding. Maybe try to see in the network traces how the state you're sending looks like. If it's not a base64 string then it wasn't captured/passed correctly.

You can also try to apply the bookmark state using the Javascript API and see if it's valid.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AmosHersch
Employee
Employee

Hi,

I don't see what is missing, the bookmark state should be some base64 which Power BI tries to decodes. The error probably means something was wrong during decoding. Maybe try to see in the network traces how the state you're sending looks like. If it's not a base64 string then it wasn't captured/passed correctly.

You can also try to apply the bookmark state using the Javascript API and see if it's valid.

The issue was an outdated powerbi-client package. Upgrading resolved the issue.

Hi, Do you have the steps to enable export to pdf/ ptt for powerbi reports embedded in web application for external users

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.