Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gurujeet
Frequent Visitor

'Export to File for Paginated Report' Flow action failing

I have a set of Paginated Reports that I'm exporting with Power Automate Flows. When executed individually in succession they succeed. I set up a SharePoint list with the names of the reports and the parameter values to be passed. If I get that list as a step in the Flow and then do an Apply to Each step for the export passing in the name and parameter values, execution fails with an error 'The response is not in JSON format.'

If I instead use a Send an Email step sending the same report and parameter values it executes fine.  If I show the raw inputs for the failed export step, they look exactly the same as the raw inputs when executing the export steps individually.

Any ideas why it would fail when executed within Apply to Each?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gurujeet
Frequent Visitor

With a little serendipity I found a solution. There is definitely strange stuff going on. I hope Microsoft team reads this as it definitely should be looked at.

After trying for hours to get the call to Export Paginated Report to a File working within Apply to Each and not able to get around 'The response is not in JSON format.' error I gave up. Instead of a simple Flow with 6 steps, I was adding export and its processing individually. 160+ steps, painful and error-prone but I needed something working tomorrow. I added about 50 steps and took a break. When I resumed I was using the copy step to clipboard functionality to speed up getting them in. I opened one and instead of the text for Workspace and Report Name, there were guid's. Bizarre but serendipitous, and when I opened the step a minute later, it was displaying text again, not guids.

I got the guid's for each report and redid the logic to pass those in and it works. Strange but true.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
gurujeet
Frequent Visitor

With a little serendipity I found a solution. There is definitely strange stuff going on. I hope Microsoft team reads this as it definitely should be looked at.

After trying for hours to get the call to Export Paginated Report to a File working within Apply to Each and not able to get around 'The response is not in JSON format.' error I gave up. Instead of a simple Flow with 6 steps, I was adding export and its processing individually. 160+ steps, painful and error-prone but I needed something working tomorrow. I added about 50 steps and took a break. When I resumed I was using the copy step to clipboard functionality to speed up getting them in. I opened one and instead of the text for Workspace and Report Name, there were guid's. Bizarre but serendipitous, and when I opened the step a minute later, it was displaying text again, not guids.

I got the guid's for each report and redid the logic to pass those in and it works. Strange but true.

I had the same problem and it is solved after I did as per your suggestion.  I also hope that the Microsoft team looks into this issue. 

Thank you @gurujeet 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.