Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tkiwi
Frequent Visitor

Embedded Report with Paginated Visual and RLS CustomData()

Hi there,

so I'am developing an WebApp with Power BI Embedded on an Premium Capacity.

The embedding works fine and in my report I use the Paginated Report Visual to embedded an paginated report too.

This also works fine, both reports (pbi report and the paginated report) are based on the same dataset.

Now I want to use dynamic RLS in this dataset and also using the CustomData()-Feature when generating the embedded token.

So generating the token and invoking the report and show up the CustomData() works fine. Also the RLS is applying to the Dataset. But if I now invoke my embedded paginated report it seems that the CustomData() is not working with it? The report is loading and loading and loading and after certain time it is showing no data. If I delete the CustomData Rule in my Dataset the embedded report can select data from the dataset.

Are there any known issues or limitatios with CustomData in an embedded paginated report visual?

2 REPLIES 2
Adamboer
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Based on the information provided, it seems that there might be an issue with passing CustomData() to the paginated report visual. Have you tried passing the CustomData() directly to the paginated report as a parameter instead of relying on the same dataset?

Additionally, please make sure that the RLS configuration is also applied to the paginated report visual. You can do this by setting up the RLS rules in the dataset used by the paginated report and then passing the relevant parameters to the report.

If the issue persists, we recommend reaching out to Microsoft support for further assistance. They will be able to provide more in-depth guidance on troubleshooting this issue.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Hi,

how can I pass the CustomData to the paginated report? Did you mean by creating a Measure (e.g. Measure = CustomData() ) and adding that to the parameters of the paginated report visual?

@Adamboer wrote:

Additionally, please make sure that the RLS configuration is also applied to the paginated report visual. You can do this by setting up the RLS rules in the dataset used by the paginated report and then passing the relevant parameters to the report.

My RLS Rules are in the dataset. And the USERPRINCIPALNAME() is correctly passed with the token through the paginaed report visual.

I've tested it a few times and everytime I use "CUSTOMDATA()" in one of my RLS Rule in the Dataset I can't load the paginated report anymore.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.