Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamics 365 connection

Hi everybody, 

I'd like to shape a Power BI report on my dynamics data . As I have a huge amount of data, I'd like to know if the connection between my Power BI report and D365 will affect the performances of Dynamics, if it will slow it down or not?
In this context, is it the best practice to import directly my data or should I  use another method (for example, do I need to import my data into an Azure SQL database first?)

I hope my explaination is clear enough 😁.

Thank you in advance for your help,

François Miessen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

As far as I know, Power BI support us to connect to Dynamic 365 by import connection mode. We need to consider whether your capacity support the increasing amount of data. Larger model sizes may not be supported by your capacity. Shared capacity can host models up to 1 GB in size, while Premium capacities can host models up to 13 GB in size. For further information, read the Power BI Premium support for large datasets article.

Here is an offical blog about how to optmize Import model.

So if the size of your data is larger or will be larger than size of your capacity. You may need to consider to use Direct Query or Live connction mode.

As you mentioned, load your data into Azure SQL database then you can use Direct Query connection mode to connect to Azure SQL database.

Here is an offical blog about how to optmize Direct Query model.

For reference:

Optimization guide for Power BI

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

As far as I know, Power BI support us to connect to Dynamic 365 by import connection mode. We need to consider whether your capacity support the increasing amount of data. Larger model sizes may not be supported by your capacity. Shared capacity can host models up to 1 GB in size, while Premium capacities can host models up to 13 GB in size. For further information, read the Power BI Premium support for large datasets article.

Here is an offical blog about how to optmize Import model.

So if the size of your data is larger or will be larger than size of your capacity. You may need to consider to use Direct Query or Live connction mode.

As you mentioned, load your data into Azure SQL database then you can use Direct Query connection mode to connect to Azure SQL database.

Here is an offical blog about how to optmize Direct Query model.

For reference:

Optimization guide for Power BI

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your help 😉

Hi @Anonymous 

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your problem.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, your answer was clear and efficient, thank you ;-).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.