Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mshojaei

Convert an Excel file with VBA code and formula to Power BI or Power App

Hello,

I am a newbie in the Power BI and Power App worlds with very basic knowledge. There is an excel file in our organization that

has different sheets and each sheet looks like a form that user can fill the blank cells and then based on the entered data, some calculation will happen and dynamic rows will be generated. The file (.xls) includes some macros and formula to do the calculation. 

Now, they want to see the opportunity of converting this excel tool to Power BI or Power App. I was wondering which of these two tools should I use? is there any way that we can import Macros/formula from excel to any of them? Can we make any integration between these tools?

In general, I am looking for the best approach to convert an Excel file to Power BI or Power App.

I will appreciate any help or suggestion.

Thanks,

Maryam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

We generally recommend against attempting that.  The reason both VBA and Power Query exist is that they are different, both on a language level and also on a philosophical level. 

Instead, formulate the business need that your current VBA is solving, and then solve the same business need with Power Query (or DAX) if appropriate.  (It is also possible that Power BI is not the right tool for your scenario).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AilleryO
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

The Power App would be more to get the data (to be stored in SharePoint list, Excel file, ...)

and Power BI to analyze and display data already collected.
I do agree with @lbendlin , you need to come back to business need and rebuild a solution.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

We generally recommend against attempting that.  The reason both VBA and Power Query exist is that they are different, both on a language level and also on a philosophical level. 

Instead, formulate the business need that your current VBA is solving, and then solve the same business need with Power Query (or DAX) if appropriate.  (It is also possible that Power BI is not the right tool for your scenario).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.