Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

andy_fin

Collapse `Advanced options` record on custom connector

hi all - I've got a custom connector the function for which supports an options record as per guidelines. There are some areas I would like to improve though with regards the new data source dialog UX.

Primarily, by default the options record is expanded when creating a new data source. This does not appear to be the case with (at least some, e.g. ODBC) built in connectors but I can't find any documentation on how to govern the expanded state.

The options record parameter on my function typelooks like:

optional options as (type
  [
  optional CommandTimeout = (
  type number meta [
    Documentation.FieldCaption = "Command timeout (seconds)",
    Documentation.FieldDescription = "Timeout for individual queries. If unspecified platform defaults will apply.",
    Documentation.SampleValues = {"120"}
  ]),
  optional MaxCellsPerPage = (
  type number meta [
   Documentation.FieldCaption = "Maximum cells per response page",
   Documentation.FieldDescription = "Maximum number of cells in a single query response page.",
   Documentation.SampleValues = {"3000"}
  ])
] meta [
  Documentation.FieldCaption = "Advanced options"
])

Any advice/pointers on how to adjust the UX much appreciated. What I'm aiming for is something that defaults like this:

odbc_advanced_options.png

4 REPLIES 4
FrancescaBatt
Frequent Visitor

Hi @andy_fin ,

Did you found a solution?

Thank you

Francesca

Afraid not Francesca, I haven't been able to progress this yet.

andy_fin

Thanks for taking the time to respond and the pointers @v-yiruan-msft .

The Essbase connector you cite does show some of the more advanced UX patterns I'd like to acheive but I don't think the source is available for this.

Of the samples only HelloWorld covers some basic documentation. It feels like there is posiibly an undocumented area of the SDK here.

There are a number of UI choices I see on other connectors which don't appear to be acheivable using the function documentation options I am aware of (Documentation. and Formatting. fields).

My connector is functioning as I want and I can surface any settings I need but it seems like I am missing something wrt to how to tweak what UI Power BI will show on adding a data source. To include some additional examples:

• (as per this post) I can't find the option which would cause the UX associated with the Advanced options record to resolve to a collapsed rather than expanded section by default.
  • I can enable direct query via SupportsDirectQuery on the Publish record but the radio buttons associated with this always appear at the bottom of the dialog for me - whereas some connectors (e.g. Essbase ) indicate that this need not always be the case.
  • So far I have not been able to get a field on a record parameter (e.g. an entry under Advanced options) to respect the formatting options (e.g. Formatting.IsMultiLine) whereas the Documentation. metadata is respected. Again I see this in other connectors (typically multiline SQL entry fields under advanced options) so it must be possible.
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @andy_fin ,

Please review the following links, hope they can help you.

Connect using advanced options

Additional connector functionality

List of Samples

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.