Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Sen

Adding user to PowerBI pipeline with a service principal displays a 401 error

Sen_0-1683190507469.pngSen_1-1683190532426.png

The post method is used, which returns 401, but the permissions it needs have already been given

5 REPLIES 5
lmarangio
Helper I
Helper I

Hey @Sen could you elaborate more your question? For instance, can you specify the parameters of your request? How you are authenticating to PBI API? 

Hi @lmarangio ,I use the service principal to obtain a token through the OAuth2 protocol for PowerBI authentication.

Sen_0-1687253913551.png

Then use Power BI REST APIs to add user to the pipeline user, but the addition fails.
Rest API link:  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/pipelines/update-pipeline-user

Are you using the following body in the request?

{
  "identifier": "object_id",
  "accessRight": "Admin",
  "principalType": "App"
}

"object_id" in your case should be "self.sp_id".

yes, refer to Powerbi's REST API, I think it's due to insufficient permissions, but I don't know what additional permissions are needed

Sen_0-1687313555201.png

Hey @Sen, I think that's the problem! You are requesting a token to authenticate as a service principal. But then, reading the body of you request, you are trying to authenticate as a user.

Try to use the following body I alredy reported before:

{
  "identifier": "object_id",
  "accessRight": "Admin",
  "principalType": "App"
}

Try the request with Postman and please post the results here (screenshot of the requeste response)! 

Careful, there is a huge difference between using as "principalType", "User" or "App".

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.