Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

absmiths
Regular Visitor

Access Datasets using PowerBI REST API from Java

I am trying to access the rest API to refresh a dataset, and I am running into authorization problems.  I need to use an app registration from azure.  I create an Authorization context with my client Id and secret, which works with other azure services, but whatever I do I just get unauthorized.  Here are the details:

I have assigned permissions in Azure AD to allow Power BI Service (Power BI), including 'Read and Write all Datasets' and 'View all Datasets'.  When I try to access this rest endpoint, https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/datasets, I just get unauthorized.  Am I missing a step here?  I think I need to use this call first so that I can get the guid of the dataset to refresh.

3 REPLIES 3
ausgod

Was there a resultion for this issue.   I am having the exact same problem.  All documented access has been given and still get unauthorized 

v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

You need to give the App the corresponding permission to access Power BI resources:

Follow the steps below:

Register an Azure AD app to embed Power BI content

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/register-app

Follow the Through Azure Portal part.

Regards,

Michael

I went through those steps a couple of different times, and it hasn't worked.  I have tried creating a user using the pbi developer access page and using the azure ad portal directly.  I still only get an 'Unauthorized' response.

One part I can't follow is granting the AD permission "Access the directory as the signed in user".  My org prohibits this but it doesn't seem necessary anyway since I am not doing impersonation.  Also, in my case I am using a web API instead of a native application type.  Is this required for accessing the dataset refresh API?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.