Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

jmsavagetcc
Frequent Visitor

API to show who granted or changed a user's access

My scenario is that we have a team that can assign a user access to a workspace (or other Power BI artifact), or change a user's access permissions.  We need to be able to monitor who is assigning or maintaining access permissions, the subject user and the workspace or artifact .  While I can see activities in the ActivityEvents API response, such as 'UpdateFolderAccess' and 'UpdateWorkspaceAccess', it provides me with the user Id for the person making the change and the workspace name but not the user that has been assigned the access (or permissions changed). I've also looked in the Admin Portal > Audit Logs which takes me to the Microsoft 365 Admin Center - that does not render me the information I need either.  While I can build a report from the API data I'm extracting to highlight changes in workspace and artifact access, that doesn't provide me with the user that made the access change either, so either way I'm missing the link between the person making the change and the user to which the change has been made for.

Is there any way to be able to identify the subject user to which the change was made?  

My search of the forum shows my question was asked a couple of years ago with no solution identified, so I'm hoping something may have changed in the last 2 years that can now provide this missing piece of information.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @jmsavagetcc ,

You consider using a PowerShell script in conjunction with a cmdlet for more detailed analysis. This cmdlet allows you to download activity events, and with appropriate filtering, you may be able to extract more detailed information about access changes.

Solved: Power BI Logs - Microsoft Fabric Community

Power BI Cmdlets reference | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @jmsavagetcc ,

You consider using a PowerShell script in conjunction with a cmdlet for more detailed analysis. This cmdlet allows you to download activity events, and with appropriate filtering, you may be able to extract more detailed information about access changes.

Solved: Power BI Logs - Microsoft Fabric Community

Power BI Cmdlets reference | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Wonderful, thank you for that tip 😄 I can see it under the activity type 'UpdateFolderAccess' and in array 'FolderAccessRequests'.  It appears to provide the Microsoft Entra object Id's but that is no issue to look them up as I am also extracting graph data into our data warehouse.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Kudoed Authors