Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Dragon496
Helper I
Helper I

API admin methods limit of 200

We have developed a solution where we download admin/usage data on a daily basis, import this into SQL Server. We have also developed a report based on this data.

Recently, I have been trying to add user information to work spaces, reports, datasets et cetera. The 1st 2 went well (just now anyway). Each power shell script, loads say the reports, loops through these and calls the admin API method to retrieve the users for each report.

It was only when I tried to do the datasets, that we started hitting the 200/hour limit.

Now when extracting workspaces, you can add the parameters "expand =users" to give us the users information. However, this parameter does not work for reports, datasets et cetera.

Is there any other way to retrieve report users, app users et cetera?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
jaakkow
Frequent Visitor

I have a similar problem.

I don´t know if this will create more problems than it solves but I just added a

"Start-Sleep -seconds 36" to the end of my foreach powershell loop.

This way I´ll slow down the script and hopefully make sure that I don´t go over the limit. The run will take a long time for sure, but if that is not a problem then this might work.

EDIT: I just realized that I could go a lot faster that 36 seconds, I´think I´ll do 20 seconds just to be on the safe side.

Hello

We discovered, on the Internet, a solution which uses the scanner API (https://github.com/RuiRomano/pbimonitor).

The report uses json files as the data source. I am trying to change that, so that we persist the data in a SQL database.

Thanks

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dragon496 ,

Please check whether the following REST APIs are what you want.

1. Get app users

Admin - Apps GetAppUsersAsAdmin

2. Get report users

Admin - Reports GetReportUsersAsAdmin

yingyinr_1-1642741864224.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

No, this does not help me. These methods have a limit of 200 calls per hour, which was the issue detailed in my original message

Hi @Dragon496 ,

Based on my research, I didn't find any other APIs or other better ways to export user information without any limitations.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.