Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

db042190
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

when does it stop being free

hi we are having a bit of a debate here at my new place of employment.  I told one of our infrastructure guys that the desktop has always been free as far as i know.    And therefore with permission he should be allowed to deploy it to an employee's desktop even without them having a pbi license.  I believe he finally agreed after he read the license agreement.  what i dont know is if an employee can post a question here wiythout a license.  Im assuming cloud AD lists only the folks who currently have a license.  And posting here requires that the employee's email address be already known in that cloud AD.  So they cant post here without a license.  Is tha true?  I have a pro license here and assume my new company pays for it.  But i also have a personal one which i've never paid a dime for and cannot recall if that was before or after i got 365.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @db042190 ,

PBI Desktop is free. PBI service is free up to some extent (1G storage and reports are for your own consumption only).

Posting in the community doesn't require a license but must use non-generic emails to sign-up(no gmail, outlook etc ).

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @db042190 ,

PBI Desktop is free. PBI service is free up to some extent (1G storage and reports are for your own consumption only).

Posting in the community doesn't require a license but must use non-generic emails to sign-up(no gmail, outlook etc ).

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.