Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

yansong
Regular Visitor

summerize all of previous months given a variable

I use power query to import the data from database with current year beginning balance( C.BEG.BAL) and current month1 (C.M1), which is January, current month 2 (C.M2), which is Febuary and etc.  and also previou year beginning balance (P.BEG.BAL) and previous month current balance (P.M1). I wonder if i can summerize current YTD balance and previous YTD by given a random month. Thank you!

example.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @yansong,

Based on my test, you coud refer to below steps:

1.Copy your row table. Remove the previous month value in row table and remove the currently month value in copied table.

1.PNG

2.PNG

2.Transpose the tables and add index.

3.PNG

3.Merge the two tables and delete one index columns. Rename the other index column as "Month". Apply it.

4.PNG

4. Create a measue and you could get the result.

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM('Merge1'[Value]),FILTER(ALL('Merge1'),'Merge1'[Month]<=MAX('Merge1'[Month])))+CALCULATE(SUM('Merge1'[Table1.Value]),FILTER(ALL('Merge1'),'Merge1'[Month]<=MAX('Merge1'[Month])))

5.PNG

You can also download the PBIX file to have a view.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdypfheyfro5qyc/summerize%20all%20of%20previous%20months%20given%20a%20var...

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @yansong,

From your description, I could not understand the sentence "summerize current YTD balance and previous YTD by given a random month" post in your problem, could you please post your desires result if possible?

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sure. If I select February for exmaple, it will summarize C.BEG.BAL+C.M1+C.M2 (Current YTD) and also P.BEG.BAL+P.M1+P.M2( Previous YTD). Let me know if you are still confused. Thank you for your help.

Hi @yansong,

Based on my test, you coud refer to below steps:

1.Copy your row table. Remove the previous month value in row table and remove the currently month value in copied table.

1.PNG

2.PNG

2.Transpose the tables and add index.

3.PNG

3.Merge the two tables and delete one index columns. Rename the other index column as "Month". Apply it.

4.PNG

4. Create a measue and you could get the result.

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM('Merge1'[Value]),FILTER(ALL('Merge1'),'Merge1'[Month]<=MAX('Merge1'[Month])))+CALCULATE(SUM('Merge1'[Table1.Value]),FILTER(ALL('Merge1'),'Merge1'[Month]<=MAX('Merge1'[Month])))

5.PNG

You can also download the PBIX file to have a view.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdypfheyfro5qyc/summerize%20all%20of%20previous%20months%20given%20a%20var...

Regards,

Daniel He

Thank you, Daniel! I think that works!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.