Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

feiDeng
Employee
Employee

stepped layout option not available after upload to shared space (local is enabled)

we used to have stepped layout option (enabled from local)

feiDeng_0-1712008761220.png

The shared workspace used to work fine until today. Seems this feature removed from matrix? I am not able to find the option as well

feiDeng_1-1712008823148.png

Please help check.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
feiDeng
Employee
Employee

find a to fix for now. 

feiDeng_0-1712088705877.png

Hope this works.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
v-gelobalbal

I get the same issue as well. Is there an ETA to resolve the issue?

feiDeng
Employee
Employee

find a to fix for now. 

feiDeng_0-1712088705877.png

Hope this works.

I'm not certain this represents the same issue originally posted, but it does seem to be related...

Background:
 - All our Power Bi reports are developed in the desktop app.
 - I use the Matrix visual extensively, sometimes with Stepped Layout "on", sometimes with it "off", depending on the report need.
 - There has been no issue with this functionality until recently, when consumers started 'complaining' that something was changed in a specific report and no one likes this change.
The Issue:

- There are 2 matrices in this report that specifically have the Stepped Layout option turned "off".  

- However these matrices now display in the service as though the Stepped Layout is "on".  This is NOT acceptable for this report.
 - I downloaded the PBIX from the service and opened it in the desktop - these matices both display exactly as they should, with the Stepped Layout "off".
 - I deleted the report from the service and republished from the desktop, to no avail.

- The service does not have an "on/off" setting for Stepped Layout per se.
A Possible (temporary) Solution:

- With the report open in Edit mode in the Power BI service...
    - Select the matrix visual to be 'fixed'
    - Select Format visual in the Visualizations pane.

- Open Layout and style presets under the Visual option.

- Select Tabular under Layout.

The strange thing about this "work-around" is that the Desktop app doesn't seem to have the Layout option under Style presets, so apparently this is another step to be taken after publishing the report to the service.

The other solution I read in this thread seems to show how to change the Style Layout to enhance the look of having Stepped Layout "on" but reading some of the other comments, I thought perhaps the issue is that they were wanting to know how to turn "off" Stepped Layout in a matrix.

Thank you! This works. 

I have this same issue with Power BI online only starting yesterday and see that you had it 6 weeks ago! Has there been a fix? I don't understand the solution you proposed. Is the Sparse style and Compact layout options supposed to look like a matrix with Stepped Layout off?

feiDeng
Employee
Employee

Is there a ETA to fix this issue? Some of our table use this option is not readable for now. 

Also is there a way we can downgrade to previous version for power BI service?

Thank you.

v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @feiDeng ,

I test it in my environment, it works well.

Power BI Desktop:

vbinbinyumsft_0-1712023892800.png

Power BI Service Pro License Mode Workspace:

vbinbinyumsft_1-1712023995041.png

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Binbin,

It seems I am using a different version 

feiDeng_1-1712033752577.png

power bI service

feiDeng_0-1712033711502.png

Could you try those newer versions? Thank you for looking at this. It was working fine last week. So I wonder if something with the new version. Thank you again. 

Hi @feiDeng ,

I test in the newer version, for Power BI Desktop, could find "Stepped layout" option, but could not find it in Power BI Service.

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Similar issue here, I have a report that has a matrix visual that works well in power bi desktop and is not working when published online. Is there an ETA as to when this missing option would be restored or the visual fixed for the Online Power BI Service? Below is a screenshot of the Matrix.

Screenshot 2024-04-02 104230.png

Thanks,

Yogesh

right. I have the same obeservation. It works fine from the desktop version but not working on the Power BI service.

Thank you.

Same expereince for my PBI reports. Stepped layout turned off in desktop but is on in PBI service when published. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.