Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

elaj
Helper IV
Helper IV

simultaneous work on Power BI dataset problem

Hi,

we work at a big project and have to use a lot of queries, data transformation, calculated tables, relationships and dax measures.

We need to split this work to multiple persons. But at the end, we need one dataset(model), which can be used for live connection.

So we will have copies of a master pbix file and every one is working with the same dataset(model) and transforming it in power query and is calculating measures in dax. then we syncronize and publish this model. After that our report builders can onnect to this live data and work with it.

The problem now is... how to syncronize our work on the datamodel?

While i tried to find a solution, i came across the tabular editor software. There it is possible to export a model.bim file, which luckily stores all the information for the datamodel (queries, tablestructure, measures, etc.).

This file could be tracked by git and it works really fine. But i could not find a solution to import this git syncronized .bim file to my pbix file, to work with the most recent datamodel.

Do you have a solution for my problem? Or is there another better approach?

best regards

elaj

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

After checking both links I chose this workaround. Maybe someone is interested.

It needs a little bit of manual work but for us it seems ok for now.

1. After you have done your work on the pbix file, you open the tabular editor and save the .bim file.

2. then track the .bim file with git so you have always the newest version. and it should also be merged by git if multiple persons made different changes. (if you have conflicts you have to merge this manually)

3. when you start to work again, pull the newest version of the .bim file and open your pbix in desktop (which hasn't the newest model information inside yet).

4. open the ALM Toolkit and select the .bim file as source and your opened pbix as your target. then update everything possible by ALM toolkit and refresh the comparison. after that, everything except queries should be updated (which is better then nothing i think 🙂 ).

5. then open the tabular editor and load the .bim file too. figure out wich differences still exists by using ALM toolkit. and copy paste the query code manually in your queries in your opened pbix. (why tabular editor? and not copy paste it out of the alm toolkit? yea unfortuantely the format inside alm toolkit is in the .bim format and not in power query m format.. in tabular editor you have the format you need)

i think this is just a few minutes of work when you begin your session and its worth it (for us).
hope that helpes. (sorry for my rudimentary english)

best regards
elaj

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@elaj glad to hear that these posts helped and you able to come up with a solution. Good luck. Cheers!!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@elaj check this link Migrate Analysis Services models to Power BI using Tabular Editor – Data – Marc (data-marc.com)

and also check ALM Toolkit Home Page - ALM Toolkit (alm-toolkit.com)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

After checking both links I chose this workaround. Maybe someone is interested.

It needs a little bit of manual work but for us it seems ok for now.

1. After you have done your work on the pbix file, you open the tabular editor and save the .bim file.

2. then track the .bim file with git so you have always the newest version. and it should also be merged by git if multiple persons made different changes. (if you have conflicts you have to merge this manually)

3. when you start to work again, pull the newest version of the .bim file and open your pbix in desktop (which hasn't the newest model information inside yet).

4. open the ALM Toolkit and select the .bim file as source and your opened pbix as your target. then update everything possible by ALM toolkit and refresh the comparison. after that, everything except queries should be updated (which is better then nothing i think 🙂 ).

5. then open the tabular editor and load the .bim file too. figure out wich differences still exists by using ALM toolkit. and copy paste the query code manually in your queries in your opened pbix. (why tabular editor? and not copy paste it out of the alm toolkit? yea unfortuantely the format inside alm toolkit is in the .bim format and not in power query m format.. in tabular editor you have the format you need)

i think this is just a few minutes of work when you begin your session and its worth it (for us).
hope that helpes. (sorry for my rudimentary english)

best regards
elaj

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.