Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hritesh
Regular Visitor

road map in power bi maps

Hi, we need to import the polyline shape files (topojson) such as Roads, Railway lines etc. into power BI maps and associate data with it. Is there a way to incorporate this ?

Currently we tried this in both shape map and drill down Choropleth but apparantly both the visuals are not supporting it.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
prmurray

I worked around this situation by using QGIS to create a buffer for my line.  That turned the line into a polygon, which Power BI let me use.  here's the youtube video for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmeVyw0JDZU

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any updates on this?

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @hritesh,

What error did you get? You can use custom maps with Shape Map as long as they are in the TopoJSON format, please review the Custom maps part in this article. After search, there are two similar threads, hoping it's useful.

Problem using custom shape map
From Shapefile to TopoJSON for shape map

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi Angelia,

Thanks for your reply. We actually need to include more than one layer for our map but it seems that the shape map only allows one layer to be added so we are going with the Drill down choropleth. The Drill down choropleth visual is able to plot the TopoJSON files for the polygons perfectly but when including the Polylines file, the lines are sort of forming polgons (or maybe they are just cluttering) at certain locations. 

Below is the screen shot for polylines file.

line.png

Regards,

Hritesh

Hi, Did this ever get sorted? I too want to add a polyine to powerBI but doesnt seem to be possible?

hritesh
Regular Visitor

Hi, we need to import the polyline shape files (topojson) such as Roads, Railway lines etc. into power BI maps and associate data with it. Is there a way to incorporate this ?

Currently we tried this in both shape map and drill down Choropleth but apparantly both the visuals are not supporting it.

Thanks.

hritesh
Regular Visitor

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.