Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

moltra_work
Frequent Visitor

question Row Leve Security and multiple reports.

I have 3 Power Bi reports that I am trying to maintain.  All three reports use the same datasource for the original data.  The three reports are basically the same, the Lite only has 1 page of the normal report.  Export is the same as Normal, but with exporting the visuals enabled

Currently, I have 3 Power Bi reports each with a seperate dataset.  Each report has a RLS setup with the same roles,  Right now, I update each report separately from a data standpoint and a visual standpoint.  

What I am wondering is can I combine all three of the row level security lists into 1 list and use that list for all three reports with the same dataset.

Current setup    
Report RLS Dataset
Lite Lite Lite
Normal Normal Normal
Export Export Export

Desired Setup    
Report RLS Dataset
Lite Combined File linked to Normal Dataset
Normal Combined File Normal
Export Combined File inked to Normal Dataset
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @moltra_work 

If you want to apply one RLS to multiple reports, you can consider to use SSAS as a data souce and set the RLS in SSAS,then use live connection to connect to the data source, then the RLS you set in SSAS can work and you don't need to create multi RLS, it different from the RLS created in Power BI Desktop, if you want to edit or modify the RLS, you need to edit in SSAS, you can refer to the following link.

Dynamic row-level security with Analysis services tabular model - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Row Level Security with SSAS Tabular Live Connection in Power BI - RADACAD

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @moltra_work 

If you want to apply one RLS to multiple reports, you can consider to use SSAS as a data souce and set the RLS in SSAS,then use live connection to connect to the data source, then the RLS you set in SSAS can work and you don't need to create multi RLS, it different from the RLS created in Power BI Desktop, if you want to edit or modify the RLS, you need to edit in SSAS, you can refer to the following link.

Dynamic row-level security with Analysis services tabular model - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Row Level Security with SSAS Tabular Live Connection in Power BI - RADACAD

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

hello @moltra_work ,

the thing is that each row level security is defined in each report to each dataset, so it should be done separately per dataset.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

If I am using a common dataset for all three reports, how would it work?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.