Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

avinash176
Frequent Visitor

power query

Hi All,

Am taking data from API and while doing it some time the table is empty so while refreshing the data am getting error that the column is not found since am expanding the column in later steps so the column itself is not getting found so power query is throwing me error.

Can anyone help me with the code to overcome this callenge.

this is what i have tried and with this am able to handle the empty table scenario but the next steps(expansion of the column) is getting failed with the same error that colum is not found.

Code:

let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://api.pilot.io/api/v1",[RelativePath="/recommendations?filters[type]=nat", Headers=[apikey="xxxxxxxxxxxx",
Authorization=Authorization()]])),
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
custom= if Table.IsEmpty(#"Converted to Table") then Dummy_Table else #"Converted to Table",
#"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"region", "active_connections", "max_active_connections", "days_to_check", "uuid", "potential_savings", "type"})
in
#"Expanded Column1"

error:

"Expression.Error: The column 'Column1' of the table wasn't found.
Details:
Column1"

here am unable to handle the "Expanded Column1" steps and i want this steps to build my model so looking for any suggestion how to handle it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pls try this

let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://api.pilot.io/api/v1")),
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), {"getFile"}, null, ExtraValues.Error),
custom= if Table.IsEmpty(#"Converted to Table") then Dummy_Table else #"Converted to Table",
#"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "getFile", {"region", "active_connections", "max_active_connections", "days_to_check", "uuid", "potential_savings", "type"})
in
#"Expanded Column1"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
avinash176
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Ahmedx thank you so much, it works.

i have created dummy table where in i have some value which i wanted the query to return when the source table is empty.

Ahmedx
Super User
Super User

we still need to figure out what Dummy Table is returned here in case the table is empty

avinash176
Frequent Visitor

pls try this

let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://api.pilot.io/api/v1")),
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), {"getFile"}, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "getFile", {"region", "active_connections", "max_active_connections", "days_to_check", "uuid", "potential_savings", "type"})
in
#"Expanded Column1"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.