Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

power query python script and slicers not properly interacting in report

Hello,

I have python visuals in a report that contain the scripting right in the visual the way it normally would be done. I also use a pythonscript to run a statistical regression being on data and giving me back results in a new data table in power query. I take those results and place them into 'card' visual in my report along side the visuals. 

The problem: when I put a slicer on the page that has a time range in it, it affects the visuals that are scripted right in the report just fine, however the calculation done in power queryy and displayed through 'card' visuals are not being affected correctly. 

My own analysis thus far: the calculations do store values such as R squared, which is realy a single calculation done on the entire data set (so a value on each line isn't technically correct), on each line because it needs be stored as a table in power query (i'm assuming this is the reason). this explains why the number isn't changing when narrowing down the time with the slicer, because every year has the same value stored in it for the R squared calculation. What would make it correct is if the slicer caused a recalcualtion to be done by power query with just the selected data to reproduce an accurate calculation. 

This the report before changing the slicer. at this point the 'card' visuals are accurate.This the report before changing the slicer. at this point the 'card' visuals are accurate.This is after changing the slicer to limit the data be analysed, the graph plots do adapt properly but as you can see the card values remain the same, which is not correct.This is after changing the slicer to limit the data be analysed, the graph plots do adapt properly but as you can see the card values remain the same, which is not correct.

here the python script from power query:

# 'dataset' holds the input data for this script

import pandas
import numpy as np
import statsmodels.api as sm
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

y = dataset['Touchdowns']
x1 = dataset['Total Rushing Yds']
x2 = dataset['Total Passing Yds']
x = np.column_stack((x1,x2))
x = sm.add_constant(x,prepend=True)
model = sm.OLS(y,x)
results = model.fit()
dataset['R2'] = results.rsquared
dataset['Adj R2'] = results.rsquared_adj
dataset['F Stat'] = results.fvalue
dataset['Constant'] = results.params.const
dataset['X1'] = results.params.x1
dataset['X2'] = results.params.x2
dataset['residuals'] = results.resid_pearson

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

you have to rethink your current solution, a  Power Query (no matter if it contains python script or not) is only "executed" if the data is refreshed and not if the selection of a slicer is changed. This will only affect the number of rows meaning, tables are filtered. A visual just represents the filtered table, but the table will not be recalculated, this is also valid for calculated columns created by using DAX statements.

Only measures are "recalculated" if a user interacts with the data model.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

you have to rethink your current solution, a  Power Query (no matter if it contains python script or not) is only "executed" if the data is refreshed and not if the selection of a slicer is changed. This will only affect the number of rows meaning, tables are filtered. A visual just represents the filtered table, but the table will not be recalculated, this is also valid for calculated columns created by using DAX statements.

Only measures are "recalculated" if a user interacts with the data model.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.