Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

IF
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

negative value in bracket

Hi,

I have a column that is called "project". its format is decimal number. I want to show negative values with brackets. I tried to make a measure (Measure=FORMAT([Project];"##,###;(##,###);-")

The PowerBI highlights under Project as if it doesn't recognize it. What should I do?

Best,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@IF ,

What is [Project] exactly? Is it Measure or just a fields or Calculated column?

If it is field from table so try to use aggreagation like SUM,MAX etc.

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

View solution in original post

@IF ,

Use the below DAX:

MEASURE = IF(SUM(Sheet6[Value])<0,"("& SUM(Sheet6[Value])&")", SUM(Sheet6[Value]))
Capture.PNG

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IF 

So you have to turn your column PROJECT into a measure. There are too many values, so you need to use MAX/MIN/SUM/etc. to tell the measure what specific value to turn into that format.

You will need two measures, for example:

Measure1 = MAX(Table[Project])

Measure2 = FORMAT( [Measure1], "###,###; (###,###); -")

(make sure to use more # if your numbers go into the millions i.e. "#,###,###; (#,###,###); -"

Hi,

Thanks it works,  but the total gives wrong sum. How can I display correct sum?

Best regards,

Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

Refer the below video:

https://youtu.be/dNLuTqg938A

Or you can also try using Dax:

= IF([Project]<0,&"("& [Project]&")", [Project])

Hi,

When I type [Project], the power bi doesn't recognize it. it underlines it with red unfortunatelly.

@IF ,

What is [Project] exactly? Is it Measure or just a fields or Calculated column?

If it is field from table so try to use aggreagation like SUM,MAX etc.

@IF ,

Use the below DAX:

MEASURE = IF(SUM(Sheet6[Value])<0,"("& SUM(Sheet6[Value])&")", SUM(Sheet6[Value]))
Capture.PNG

Hi,

Thank you very much for the help. it helps. The last issue if you could help: when I put brackets, I don't want to see the minus sign. it should be for example; -3 or (3) However, the sum should be as you showed. For example; (3)+4 sum:1 Is there any possibility not to show the minus value?

Regards,

IF

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.