Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

cosminioan
Regular Visitor

matrix column header order -- in live SSAS Tabular connection

hi folks,
I'd like to sort numeric (or alphanumeric) column headers say YYYYMM  (202210) in Matrix components BUT without adding DAX additional code to the project, as everything is coming from Analysis Services Tabular and don't want to create decentralized metrics/code, outside of the tabular project.  The column in the SSAS Tabular project already has the "sort By" property set, but that does not seem to be respected by PowerBI.

Is there a way to do this within the GUI !?  (using the ReportServer Sept release) or maybe use other components that have a column sorting feature?

thank you kindly,
Cos

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cosminioan
Regular Visitor

looks like sorting is available on Rows but not on Columns, in hte PBI Matrix visual.  Once changing the data on Rows, I'm able to properly sort now. thank you, folks -- 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
cosminioan
Regular Visitor

looks like sorting is available on Rows but not on Columns, in hte PBI Matrix visual.  Once changing the data on Rows, I'm able to properly sort now. thank you, folks -- 

cosminioan
Regular Visitor

yeah, I mentioned that
"the column in the SSAS Tabular project already has the "sort By" property set, but that does not seem to be respected by PowerBI."  -- so a tad unclear for now.
At this time, I have changed the layout so that the sortable columns are put on the rows, which the PBI matrix visual supports.
thank you -- 

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cosminioan ,

According to your description, for powerbi, it connects the whole model of SSAS Tabular and the designed sorting rules will be applied to powerbi. If you want to redesign the sorting rules, you need to set them in SSAS Tabular and not in powerbi.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and related operation screenshoots. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.