Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

atefaly01
Regular Visitor

get data from Azure SMSS

Hi, 

I have finished T-SQL course , used Azure SSMS 

I'd like to enroll for Power BI course and would like to import the working data from SQl 

I use my Microsoft user for Azure login with my personal email address . 

When trying to sign in to BI , it asks for company / student email .. so I can't connect to my resources of SQL on Azure portal 

I need your support to make it accessible 

Thanks 

Atef Abdelwahed 

6 REPLIES 6
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@atefaly01 wrote:

Hi, 

I have finished T-SQL course , used Azure SSMS 

I'd like to enroll for Power BI course and would like to import the working data from SQl 

I use my Microsoft user for Azure login with my personal email address . 

When trying to sign in to BI , it asks for company / student email .. so I can't connect to my resources of SQL on Azure portal 

I need your support to make it accessible 

Thanks 

Atef Abdelwahed 

Supposing you're talking about getting data from a Azure SQL Database in Power BI desktop, you can click "get data"->"Azure"->"Microsoft Azure SQL Database", and fill the Server and database as what you fill in SSMS.

As to sign up Power BI, it can be all free. Check Self-service sign up for Power BI.

I know and already done but couldn't get my data.

The issue is that the accepted sign up to Power BI should be with work email 

while I worked on Azure with my gmail sign in.

So get data return error of access 

The error details

Details: "Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)"

@atefaly01 wrote:

I know and already done but couldn't get my data.

The issue is that the accepted sign up to Power BI should be with work email 

while I worked on Azure with my gmail sign in.

So get data return error of access 

The error details

Details: "Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)"

I'm confused how you connect to Azure SQL database. Can you check this page? It shows how to connect to Azure SQL DB from SSMS. You connect to Azure SQL DB with the same user/password as in that demo. 

Hi Eric , 

I already know and worked for a whole month on the SSMS on my SQL server I configured 

and the copy of sample database . 

@atefaly01 wrote:

Hi Eric , 

I already know and worked for a whole month on the SSMS on my SQL server I configured 

and the copy of sample database . 

@atefaly01

So, do you still have problem connecting azure sql db from Power BI?

Yes .. the problem is the authentication . Power BI requires work email while connection to my SQL done with my gmail user 

please check my posts above about the error of importing SQL data

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.