Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

xpfc
Frequent Visitor

gateway connection

Hi

I have a Gateway setup on a server and a gateway connection setup to it.

My question is why can some of my datasets choose either data gateway and some only choose the personal gateway?

Running under the same account.

I have included a couple of screenshots for clarity.

Puzzled?

Thanks

gateway.PNG

gateway_personal_only.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@xpfc,

Some data source (Excel file) is supported to refresh by using both personal gateway and on-premises gateway. Some data source source is supported to refresh by using only on-premises gateway. Please refer to "Do I need a gateway" section on the link below:

Power BI Gateway - Personal

And "List of available data source types" section on the link below:
On-premises data gateway

Which gateway should I used? It depends on your requirement. On-premises data gateway can be used by Power BI, PowerApps, Flow or Logic Apps and it can be shared and reused by multiple users. In Power BI, the on-premises gateway can be used for both schedule refresh and DirectQuery.

However, personal gateway is only for Power BI and can be used as an individual, it is used for on-demand refresh and schedule refresh.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Thanks for your reply

The schedule refresh seems to work with either option, which is what I need so I guess it doesn't really make much difference which gateway I am using.

Just for more info:

The first screen shot is just an odbc connection and gives me both options.

The second screen shot is taken from a dataset which has Excel and odbc connections, and I only get the Personal Option, where as you say below excel can use both.

The gateway was installed as an "On premise data gateway" on my server.

Thanks 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.