Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

User19
Frequent Visitor

dynamic exchange rate

Hi,

I am looking to create a Calculated Column in Power BI Embedded, that will have values in currency user has selected as his base currency in appliacation.

So, I have created a UserCurrency which is measure

UserCurrency= LOOKUPVALUE(User[BaseCurrency],Users[UserId], USERNAME())

and calculated column like this which will fetch UnitValue from Exchange rate table based on User Currency.

ValueInBase = LOOKUPVALUE(ExchangeRate[UnitValue], ExchangeRate[Currency],[UserCurrency]) * Order[Value]

But it shows error that "Function 'LOOKUPVALUE' is not allowed as part of calculated column DAX expressions on DirectQuery models."

Please help.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @User19,

In direct query mode there are some limitation to directly calculate the result value. Perhaps you can try to use import mode or calculate the result at query editor.(But I haven't found usename functions in power query)

Reference link:

DAX Formula Compatibility in DirectQuery Mode (SSAS 2016)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msftThanks. However import is not an option.

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Yes i agree with @dkay84_PowerBI his point. 

but am not sure all the DAX function is supporting in Direct Query mode.because have some restriction in Direct Query mode.

Look the microsoft documentation in Power BI Site.

DirectQuery limits the extent of DAX functions you can use by default. Advanced users can choose to bypass this limitation by selecting File > Options and then Settings > Options > DirectQuery, then selecting the option "Allow unrestricted measures in DirectQuery mode". When that option is selected, any DAX expression that is valid for a measure can be used. Users must be aware, however, that some expressions that perform very well when the data is imported may result in very slow queries to the backend source when in DirectQuery mode

Thanks for your reply. I do have this enabled.

Is there any other way? Bascially I want dynamic value (calcualted based on exchnage rate ) for user (USERNAME()) to be applied.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.