Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

B00m3r
Frequent Visitor

datediff between install date and todays date

I have 20,000 assets in an excel spreadsheet, when an asset is installed it generally is tagged with an install date in the excel file. Unfortunately, around 60% of the assets don’t have an install date.  An extract of the excel is pasted below.

Install Date:- When the asset is installed its given an install date. Where there is no date I have dropped in 1/12/2020 a future date to make the asset stand out. [I don’t know what I’m doing I thought that was a good idea at the time]

I’ve added a column for today’s date using Todays Date = TODAY()

To work out the days between install & todays date to give me asset age I’ve used the below “Days BTWN todays date v shipment date” measure.

To give me the AssetAgeYrs I used AssetAgeYrs. = CMDB[Days BTWN todays date v shipment date]/365

My question: How do I obtain the average age of asset in years without including the anomaly
-2.9452055 which is all the assets that didnt have an install date and I suppose from a broader perspective was this the best approach?

Days BTWN todays date v shipment date =

SWITCH(

TRUE(),

CMDB[Todays Date]<CMDB[Shipment Date],-1*DATEDIFF(CMDB[Todays Date],CMDB[Shipment Date],DAY),

CMDB[Todays Date]>CMDB[Shipment Date],DATEDIFF(CMDB[Shipment Date],CMDB[Todays Date],DAY),

)

DATEDIFF.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @B00m3r,

I'd like to suggest you modify the formula to replace these exception date if you haven't find out a method to deal with them.(e.g. 0)

IF (
    CMDB[Todays Date] >= CMDB[Shipment Date],
    DATEDIFF ( CMDB[Shipment Date], CMDB[Todays Date], DAY ),
)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @B00m3r,

I'd like to suggest you modify the formula to replace these exception date if you haven't find out a method to deal with them.(e.g. 0)

IF (
    CMDB[Todays Date] >= CMDB[Shipment Date],
    DATEDIFF ( CMDB[Shipment Date], CMDB[Todays Date], DAY ),
)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Mr Sheng
Im very grateful for your response which worked perfectly, much appreciated.
Season Grettings.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.