Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

goaltender36
Helper I
Helper I

data refresh in power BI on report built in Desktop

Hello,

So I am having an issue with refreshing my data in Power BI.

My data is stored in Azure SQL from an Access Web App. I pulled the data and generated a report in the Desktop then published it to a workgroup. When I go to Power BI online and hit refresh to see new data I get an error saying my refresh failed.

Any thoughts? Am I doing ths right?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @goaltender36,

Sorry for slow response, I think the issue may related to dataset, you can check its connection state at "Setting" -> "Datasets".

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @goaltender36,

Can you share us some detail information to help us to reproduce your issue?

For example: Publish steps, screenshots, detail error log, refresh type, dataset connect state...

Regards,
Xiaoxin sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hey @v-shex-msft

I built an Access Web App on a SharePoint and then opened Power BI Desktop and did an Import of the data, created some visuals and published it to a WorkGroup I created in Power BI. (It was when I refreshed the data source online in Power BI I got the error)

I then created a new connecting in Power BI Desktop and this time as DirectQuery and then uploaded to the workgroup. Now I do not get the error.

Is this because of where the data is being queried?

Hi @goaltender36,

Sorry for slow response, I think the issue may related to dataset, you can check its connection state at "Setting" -> "Datasets".

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

What is your error saying?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you for your help on this.

This was the error:

Data source error:
Unable to cast object of type 'ComDataConvert' to type 'ComDataConvert'.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface.

Do you think it could because I did an import from the Azure SQL DB instead of DirectQuery?

Hi @goaltender36, it would appear that there is a possible data type change in one of the columns? Where potentially it was a Whole Number, and now that particular column has a text value, causing the Whole Number data type to be invalidated or wrong?

It is a guess but something to look at.

Has the data ever been able to refresh successfully?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hey @GilbertQ I tried yesterday reconnecting as a Direct Query and I think that worked. I haven't gotten the error since even after entering new data into the Access Web App and then clicking refresh.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.